• Wooden cross of a crucified Christ. • "Qvis vt Devs" roughly means "Who is God" and is the inscription on the shield of the Archangel Saint Michael. • Alabaster retable close up. Created during the second half of the 15th century, it came from La Lucerne Abbey which is situated in the forests of Thar valley in the Manche district. • "The Meeting of the Three Dead and the Three Alive" A fragment of a mural painting from the ruins of the former medieval infirmary of the abbey. It dates from the end of the 13th century.• A bas-relief titled "Adam and Eve Hunts Paradise" Created from stone from Caen, it dates from the mid 16th century. • No information could be found regarding the silver cross.
Located in the Normandy region of France is Le Mont Saint Michel. Originally called Mont Tombe, it became known as Le Mont Saint Michel in the 8th century when Saint Aubert, Bishop of Avranches, built an oratory on the islet after having a vision of the Archangel St. Michael. Per legend, Archangel Michael appeared to Aubert the Bishop of Avranches and instructed him to build a church in the Archangel’s honor. Aubert repeatedly ignored Michael's request until the archangel used his finger and burnt a hole in Aubert's skull. Finally convinced, Aubert built and devoted to Michael the church on 16 Oct 709. In 966 a Benedictine abbey was built. In 1203 it was partly burned when King Philip II of France tried to capture the mount. He eventually compensated the monks by paying for and constructing the monastery known as Le Merveille, "the Wonder." The Island resisted seiges during the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) and the French Wars of Religion (1562-1598). During the 18th century, the monastery declined and only seven monks were living in it when it was dissolved during the French Revolution (1787-1799). It then became a state prison under Napoleon I, and remained a prision until 1863. In 1874 it was classified as a historic monument and restored.
• The original choir was rebuilt between 1450 and 1521 after collapsing. The architectural style at that time was different, therefore architects started first by building 10 polygonal pillars to sustain ribs and arcs. There is a gap of four centuries between the Romanesque nave and the new choir. Architects rebuilt the choir in a vertical manner which is why the pillars are less thick and the spans narrower, giving the impression of an element soaring up to the sky. • The cloister was built as the expression of God in a human form. The cloister embodies the link between the people and God, the land and the sea, the ground and the sky; and its granite columns were sculpted to match the average size of a man. Also, the distance between two pillars is exactly the same as the average width of a man. • During the time the Mount was a prison, the authorities installed a wheel in the ossuary with which prisoners, walking inside the wheel, powered a kind of mine cart along a stone ladder inclined along the rock.